The current Winter Band first entertained at the Daughter’s of Norway Solveig lodge in Burien for Julefest in 2013. Since then, we’ve performed at many venues and many occasions. Here are some of the places we have entertained:
The Nordic Museum: Julefest, yearly
Nordic museum: Nordic American Voices “Clouds of War” program,
Nordic National Museum dedication ceremony
Nordic Museum’s Children’s Lucia Fest
Syttende Mai celebration in Ballard:
Bergen’s Place Stage and Son’s of Norway Leif Erikson Lodge, yearly
Nordic Heritage Festival, PLU, Tacoma, by Embla Daughters of Norway, yearly
Norway Day, Olympia, yearly
Fall Nordic Fest by Embla lodge Daughter’s of Norway, Wedgwood, yearly
Daughter’s of Norway, Poulsbo, anniversary celebration
Daughter’s of Norway Solveig Lodge, Burien Julefest, yearly
Son’s of Norway Bremerton, anniversary celebration
Scan Fest, Pt. Townsend, Fall festival
Nordmanslaget, Tacoma, Strawberry fest
Brookdale Retirement home, holiday music, yearly
Pandemic Music Pavilion, West Seattle – Covid Times: Outdoor Music concerts every two weeks: 2020-21
Various funerals, church, block party
Daughters of Norway National Convention, Bremerton, August 2021
Gig Harbor Sister Cities Heritage Day, December 2021
Skandia Midsommarfest, St. Edward Park Kenmore, 2022
Alki 64th Street Fair, August 2022
We have performed at many interesting venues, but our most challenging and unique has been our Covid Concerts in the Pandemic Music Pavilion. During the pandemic all of our practices and concerts were held outside and with masks. In the warm summer we practiced on our outside deck, entertaining our neighbors. They would open their windows or peek over the fence to hear our music. They thanked us for brightening up their day. When the weather got colder, we moved into our double car garage with the door open. We dressed like we were going skiing with warm coats, gloves, caps etc. We had a few propane heaters for warmth. For ambiance, we decorated the garage walls with every tablecloth we could find. We strung Christmas lights everywhere, laid out carpet on the floor, added a living room lamp and vase with flowers. During our practices, people would stop and ask when we would be doing our next concert… So, we started giving concerts for the neighborhood every 2 weeks, rain or shine.. We had benches and chairs for the audience. People in cars would also honk or stop to listen. Everyone seemed to appreciate some live music during Covid times when all live entertainment had been cancelled. Some people even danced in the street to our music. … We spread joy and happiness through music in a very dark time. It gave us great joy to bring lively, happy Scandinavian music to our quarantining community.
In 2016 part of the band spent the summer in Western Norway. They were invited to play at a concert. The sold out concert took place in a barn in the countryside. There were journalists present and this event was reported in 4 newspapers. The title was “Americans playing Norwegian music” at “Konsert på Myr Løda”. It was a dream come true to be included in this event.
Song Roster of “Gamle norske sanger” Old Norwegian Songs
COME ADOLPHINA WALTZ – Chris, accordion solo
1. NID ELVEN – Nid River stille og vakker du er. (river that runs through Trondheim).
2. FLATHOLMEN– Søstrene fra Flatholmen Fyr– Sisters from Flat Island lighthouse
3. LØRDAGS VALSEN – Saturday’s Waltz
4. I FINN SKOGEN – in the Finn Forrest (county in Norway) – waltz
5. NORLANDSNETTER (Northland’s Nights)
7. KOSTER VALS
8. BESTEFARS VALSEN
9. LYKKE SKO – the lucky shoe tango
11. BEKKEN GÅR I ENGEN –Children’s song
12. PER SPELLMAN
14. MUSE VISA
15. AMERIKATUREN (Pols)
17. RØROS POLS
18. DE NÆRE TING - the things that are close to your heart, by Arne Åsen
19. MED EN ENKEL TULIPAN – With a single tulip - waltz
20. EG GJETTE TULLA
21. PÅL SINE HØNER
22. Å VESLE KARI VÅR
23. BARNDOMSMINNE FRA NORDLAND
We also have 4 original songs composed by Harald Dyb, Rolf Dyb and Tom Collier.
24. SOMMERKVELD PÅ ROVDEFJORDEN composed by Harald Dyb
25. ASTRID URNHOLT JAKOBSEN – composed by Rolf Dyb, about a Norwegian Olympic skier
26. WINTER WALTZ composed by Tom Collier, Professor Emeritus of Music, UW
27. DANSETID composed by Tom Collier
Christmas Songs/ Jule Musikk
1. Musevisa, 2. På Låven Sitter Nissen, 4. Jul Med den Glede, 5. Jeg er så Glad Hver Jule Kveld
6. Jingle Bells (Bjelle Klang) 7. Deck the Halls, 8. Glade Jul (Silent Night)
9. We Wish You a Merry Christmas 10. Så Går Vi Rundt om en Enerbærbusk
Winter Band members, Lyle Leiser and Dusty Tea were long time members of Midnight Lies Band...a Rock n Roll Dance Band.
Lyle Leiser and Chris Svehaug cofounded Whiskers & Honey Dance Band (Rock n Roll), which operated together for 6 years. Dusty Tea was also a member.
Winter Band formed after founders Mike & Ruthi Winter stepped back from Community Orchestra work...and answered the call to play the family music.